Every effort will be made to keep the school open in severe weather. However, we may close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite. We recognise that it is important that our school remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. Therefore, we will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice.
How will we let you know if the school is closed?
However, if we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, we may have to take the decision to close the school. Once this decision has been made parents will be notified via email and a message will be put on the school website www.maypolechildrenscentre.co.uk. However, there can be a delay to messages being received through email. Therefore, we will also be notifying the Kent Closures website.
To determine whether Maypole Primary School is open or closed please visit www.kentclosures.co.uk. Search for the school in the search box. The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. We also recommend parents sign up for SMS/Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents know if our school is closed. Parents can also listen to KMFM, BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed.
What can you do to help?
- Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- Please walk your child(ren) to school. If this is not possible, please make arrangements to car share and drive slowly and carefully along Franklin Road and on the school site.
- If the school is open during bad weather, please walk your child(ren) to school. If this is not possible, please make arrangements to car share and drive slowly and carefully along Franklin Road and on the school site.
- Please ensure children are wearing warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies and even extra socks! School shoes are also needed; children without a change of shoes will be unable to go outside at break times.
- Many thanks for your support in helping the school remain open during periods of severe snow/ice.